Re: [DML] Saab master cylinder VS DeLorean.

Re: [DML] Saab master cylinder VS DeLorean.

Gee, Thanks Martin.. :)

So 6068 is back on the road.  And, I learned something
today!  (Like, in South Park).

Quick recap, for the archives:

I rebuilt my entire brake system, including the STOCK
DMC master cylinder (MC).  Based on common cross
reference lists, I ordered a MC rebuild kit for a 1984
Saab 900.  After the rebuild was done, the pedal would
not stay firm.  Sometimes, the first pump would be
good but it would then slowly get closer to the floor
with each pump.

What I learned:

The Cardone rebuilt "Saab" master cylinder came in
from RockAuto.  Being that I needed an answer as to
"why" in this whole mess, I took the Carone apart.  As
soon as the first piston set and spring came out it
was clear that the Saab MC is NOT THE SAME as the DMC.
 My intention was to swap the springs with the DMC
unit, but because the internals are not the same it
could not be done.

While I had it apart next to a second "loaned" stock
DMC MC (thanks Tom G!) it looked like the Saab piston
was a bit larger than the DMC.  Whip out the calipers,
and sure enuff!!  The Saab unit *IS* a larger piston.
Well, if the piston is larger then how can we use Saab
rebuild kit on a DMC MC??

On closer inspection of the rebuilt DMC MC, I could
feel the pistons not sliding properly.  With fluid and
pressure, the pistons did not return to their at rest
position fast enough.  That explains why the first
pedal pump was good, and following ones were closer to
the floor.

I put the Cardone (Saab) unit back together, and
installed it on the car.  1 month to have it sitting
in the garage is enough.  So, I am currently running
with the "saab" version and I will see how I like it
over the next few weeks (new ceramic brake pads have a
long "wear in" period).

As far as advice, I don't want to recommend the 62/38
VS 50/50 as I am no expert on the subject.  However, I
will say if you want the 50/50 John's deal is a good
one.  I paid a bit less for the "rebuilt" but it comes
unpainted.  Based on the photo on John's site, his is
colored to match the gold of the original.

What is confusing on John's site is, the "thumbnail"
shot of the MC has an orange band (that is what is on
the 62/38), but when you click the photo the full-size
has the BLACK band (for 50/50).

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/brake-mast-cyl_small.jpg

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/brake-mast-cyl.jpg

Of course, if you want the 62/38 James has already
posted that they (PJ Grady, and DMC-GG) have them.  On
their site, it looks like 105543 sells for $125 and
INCLUDES a new reservoir and level sender.  If I am
unhappy with the 50/50, I will be picking one of those
up.

I'd still love to find a rebuild kit for the DMC MC.
I have no idea what a Saab 99 is.  I don't think we
had them in the USA.

--- Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://mail.yahoo.com