Re: [DML] Saab master cylinder VS DeLorean.

Re: [DML] Saab master cylinder VS DeLorean.

Okay, a few facts here....

1) The original DeLorean master cylinder has a 63/37 split and is
identified by the RED band around the end. The 50/50 cylinders from
Lucas/Girling have a black band around them.
2) The original 63/37 is from a Saab 90
3) The 50/50 is much more common and is found on the 900, 99 and several
others.
4) We exhausted the remaining stocks of 63/37's from Lucas Girling over
a year ago.
5) The split is achieved by the two springs inside the cylinder acting
against one another. If it wasn't such a challenge to disassemble them,
you can recreate a "proper" cylinder from a 50/50 by swapping the
springs out of your old one.
6) Under heavy braking, the fronts should lock up first - it is far
safer to lose control and carry on in a strait line than potentially
spin the car. This effect remains even with the 50/50, probably related
to the larger diameter and track of the back wheels.
7) (to Marc) - you were very complimentary about my #4426's brakes. That
has a 50/50 master, stainless hoses and a set of refurbished calipers.
8) DMC Texas' reproduction is the only correctly proportioned cylinder
available.
9) Either master cylinder is better than an old spongy one. It's amazing
what some owners seem to put up with simply because they don't know any
better (never driving other than their own DeLorean). The DeLorean's
brake pedal is more than capable of having a solid, thoroughly
responsive pedal. We've done countless cars who've received a set of
calipers, stainless hoses and a new m/c. Only one complaint so far which
went along the lines of "I wanted them better, not psychic!" (he found
it hard to brake gently). With kevlar pads, the brakes get even more
serious :-)

Martin
DMCL