Re: [DML] Intercooler

Don't have an intercooler on mine and don't want one. Water injection instead. How the hell often are your turbos in use? Mine come on when I'm passing or climbing a steep grade at elevation. 99% of the time it's a normally aspirated PRV.

  Chris
06301
Find me on Google Earth
45°43'03.24"N 123°53'45.81"W

Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chris Murley wrote:

>This isn't really true. A bad intercooler can have so great a pressure drop
>across it that it requires the compressor to work harder to maintain the
>same boost at the manifold, which means charge temps will be even higher. If
>the intercoolers thermal efficiency can't decrease the increased charge temp
>below what would be with no intercooler. It becomes a hinderance to the
>system.
>
>Granted, about the only way to accomplish this is by using an inercooler way
>too small for the application, or an extremely badly designed one, but it is
>still easily possible.

Yes, I do (and did) see your point but even just by making sure the
x-sec area of the turbo outlet is kept constant or put through a venturi
if the throttle is larger, and keeping those sizes in the intercooler
with a decent density of channels, you'll be hard pushed to make things
worse. In other words, apply a bit of common sense (something which Nick
clearly has) and you should be okay. If using a donor intercooler from a
productio engine - how big is that engine, how high is the boost and
what does it rev to - that'll put you in the right ballpark.

I was intersted to see your suggested reading matter trashed by several
of the reviewers on Amazon. Put me off buying it :-)

Best Wishes

Martin

Chris
06301