Re: [DML] Replacing the Steering Rack Boots

Re: [DML] Replacing the Steering Rack Boots

  ...But it can be done.  All you really need to do is remove the tie rod ends to get the boots off, then replace them, and get an alignment done.  Yes, you can count the number of threads as you remove them, but I wouldn't bet a set of front tires that you get it right.

  You'll also need to fill the rack back up as Mike said, which you can do (slowly) via the plate near the point where the steering shaft enters the rack.  Remove the two 10mm bolts, the white nylon pressure plate and spring, and fill the rack there.  If I remember correctly, the workshop manual gives you the proper amount of lube to re-add based on whether you remove 1 or two boots.  The fluid will work it's way to the boots as you pour.

  Jake Kamphoefner
  1063

mike.griese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  If there was, it would probably be in the repair guide...

The reason for removing the rack is to allow you to replace
the gear oil in the rack. It's much easier to tip the rack up
on one end and add the oil with the rack outside of the car.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "Wiliam F. Lane" : --------------