Re: [DML] Replica

On 6/26/06, gbsdelorean <gbsdelorean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A real project car?.
> I have been reading about the two (or is it 4?) DeLorean's that were
> gold plated, the thought occurred to try and replicate the feat.  I am
> sure the price would be astronomical to try and duplicate, but trying
> to obtain an original one is almost impossible.  Has anyone seriously
> looked into the possibility?
> I know some will say it is heresy to even consider producing a
> replica, but then, what about making a replica of the BTTF car?
> Let's see - with gold plating going for $1.20 per square inch?

It's possible to do I guess. Probably cheaper than buying one of the
existing gold cars as well. But the real question is why would anyone want
to? Doing so would very nearly render the car uninsurable for anything other
than a display item, at least for new value with the gold plating. I guess I
just don't see the point of having a car you can't drive.  It might be neat
if your filthy rich and allready have a garage full of D's just sitting
there. But then again, if you were rich enough to do this, it probably
wouldn't be much of a project, as you'd most likly be paying someone else to
do all the work anyway.

Just my two cents.

Chris
VIN #3209