Re: [DML] How does the thermotime switch work?

Re: [DML] How does the thermotime switch work?

Derek:

You're right, the switch is grounded through the threads to the water pump,
take the tape off, the sealing ring should be enough to keep it from
leaking.  You can put a continuity tester between one of the leads on the
switch and a ground point and if the engine is colder than 95 degrees it
will show continuity.  I can't say which lead is the ground one, they both
look the same, the other is from the starter solenoid to prevent flooding.
Current from the starter solenoid during cranking heats a bimetallic arm in
the switch to break the ground connection, thus disabling the cold start
valve.  Take a look at the technical manual for a schematic of how the
switch functions, it's pretty simple.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732