Re: [DML] Door Solenoids and lock modules.

Re: [DML] Door Solenoids and lock modules.

Okay, you asked for it :-)

The answer is "probably because they're all different" and no matter how
good you get at it, one will bit you from behind. There are a couple of
things I can pass along, although you said it pretty well

Doors getting jammed are usually caused by one of two things. You can
zero in on specific problems by unhooking both latches and working the
mechanism  manually with each rod. Remember to trip both latches with a
screwdriver before you go mucking about with the door open, and watch
out for a worn latch that will open itself purely with the help of
gravity when the latch is released. Anyway, specific problems:

1) The door handle release mechanism not returning properly. This will
jam the locks, but often won't prevent them from locking, only unlocking
(just to really annoy us)
2) The lock rods are out of alignment making one of the latches stay
locked when you unlock. Nine times out of ten this is the front lock rod
because it is the one that is not adjustable

1) is often caused by the outer handle. The cable gets rusty, gritty, or
in a lot of cases kinked at the handle end. My solution is to remove the
outer handle, and make sure the last 1/2" of cable is strait, lube up
and replace. However early cars had a shorter cable which generated its
own problems with the whole thing kinking. I jumped through hoops on
#1458's pass door but everythig's worked fine for 2 years now.
2) If your door pops on the rear latch but not on the front, there is a
shortcut to releasing the door. Behind the grab handle is a glued in
flexible rubber section which you can remove with a bit of force, only
tearing the poor 25 year old glue. The front lock rod runs immediately
behind this and with the aid of a pair of pliers, you should be able to
get enough pull on this to release the front lock. Although not
officially adjustable, you can adjust this by adding a couple of degrees
to the two bends (it's sort of Z-shaped) - please don't flame me :-)

Ken had me doing lock and latch on the raffle car the day before the
show, so if the new owner has any problems, shout at me :-)

Martin