Re: [DML] Is the Delorean engine an Interference Engine?

Re: [DML] Is the Delorean engine an Interference Engine?

I can attest to the timing chain setup being pretty robust in the
PRV. I have a 100,000-mile engine torn down on an engine stand in my
shop, and the chain tensioners are barely even scuffed on their
gliding surface with lots of travel left in the tensioners (they
ratchet one way to maintain chain tension). With my torn-down engine
I see little tendency for chain tension to be lost from either the
chain relaxing over time nor the guides wearing. It looks as tight
as brand new and the chains themselves appear perfectly fine.

I'm not sure what the failure mode for the timing chain would be,
but there does not appear to be a wear-related issue with that part
of the system. A sudden and catastrophic break of the chain is
conceivable, but I suspect in most cases it would be precipitated by
some other stress condition first (or other failure that cascades).

I look forward to seeing you all at DCS.

   Knut

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Warren Wallingford <warren@...>
wrote:

> The Delorean PRV is an interference engine, but just barely.  The
valves
> will just mark the top of the piston if the cams are not turning
and the
> crank is.  That said, I've never encountered cam chains broken
from
> wear: never.  A greater danger is loss of oil pressure that will
allow
> the chains to loosen and perhaps jump time.  Even more dangerous
is
> severe overheating that that can pop out a valve seat which will
hang up
> in the combustion chamber, putting a hole in the piston or bending
> valve or rod.  That will break your chain.
> Warren at DMC
>
> mike p wrote:
> > Hi, I'm concerned about my timing chain going and more concerned
about  what will happen to the engine if the timing chain breaks.

> >   If the Delorean engine is an interference engine, then I
understand it  will be trashed if the timing chain breaks.  My car
has over 140K  miles, although the seller and odometer said it only
had 40K miles, and  I am considering replacing the timing chain.