[DML] Lower/Upper Speedo Cable Removal?

I see people discussing removing the lower and upper speedo cables, but
is there any sort of process here to follow? The fitting for the lower
cable where it connects to the lambda counter doesn't seem like it
unscrews and looks just clamped on. Do I need to pull harder? How about
the upper cable? I unscrewed the collar fitting but it didn't seem to
want to pull out of the counter either.

Background:
I've got a little bounce in my speedo needle and wanted to figure out
where the problem was. The dust cap square hole looked good, and angle
drive was well-oiled (topped it off anyway) so I used a drill like
suggested to spin the inner cable and see what happened. I first
connected the drill at the dust cap and still got a bouncy needle. Then
I disconnected the lower cable from the angle drive, pulled it out of
the support bracket (which is firm and in good condition) and attached
the drill to that and the needle still bounced. So the problem is
somewhere upstream of the angle drive.

-Cal