[DML] Re: Fuel Filter Replacement

I just got through replacing my fuel filter (suspected to be clogged
due to a failed accumulator) and ran into some problems.  I was
replacing an OEM Bosch filter with another OEM Bosch filter, both of
which I obtained from a full-service DeLorean vendor (so, it should
work).

I got the new filter on and the car would not start.  When jumping
the cold start valve, the car would run, so I know that some fuel was
getting past, but apparently not enough to get to the main
injectors.  Before I hooked up the pressure gauge, I noticed that the
90-degree adapter on the  fuel filter inlet was completely inserted
into the filter, which was not the case on the old filter (and IIRC,
not the case on the filter before that).  I took everything apart and
discovered that when this 90-degree adapter finds its way completely
into the filter, fuel is choked by the inner bulb of the filter
canister.

A few photos to illustrate the problem: http://tinyurl.com/l89vy

Another new filter (Bosch OEM) solved my problem and after addressing
a fuel leak on that pesky rigid line-to-90 degree adapter connection
(why is that connection always so difficult?!), I'm back on the
road.  I don't know why the adapter had to be fully inserted on the
bad filter in order to tighten down.  I did a search to see if anyone
else had this problem and apparently I'm not alone.  I found Dave's
post below and another post reporting that there's a Purolator filter
that solves the inner-bulb problem and works fine.  I guess I can't
remember posts from 8 years ago.

Bottom line: you have to leave enough space between the adapter and
the inner bulb in the fuel filter to let the fuel flow, or else your
car isn't going to run.  I used a couple of wraps of Teflon tape to
ensure there were no leaks and just kept it away from the edge that
would be inside the filter.

Travis Graham