[DML] Re: Steering wheel shake, no brakes, and alternator whine / howl

[DML] Re: Steering wheel shake, no brakes, and alternator whine / howl

Sounds like a problem with the front tires. You could have just lost a
wheel weight or one of the tires may be going bad. Check air pressures
and feel the sides of the tire and the tread for separations, bumps,
and damage. Have the front tires rebalanced. I would also check for
any play in the u-joints or the bolts locking them onto the steering
shaft and rack.
 The alternator MUST be properly aligned with the belt. It can be
checked with a string or a straightedge across the pulleys. A high
pitched whine is normal from an alternator when it is charging. If the
belt is loose or not aligned you would hear squealing, usually more
pronounced as you increase the speed of the motor. A "trick" is to
squirt water onto the belt at the pulley. If the noise goes away you
found the source (if it is the belt).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed B." <mr.pants@...> wrote:

> I've just started getting a rapid L/R shake in the steering wheel while
> driving, commencing at low speeds of about 20mph and up, and it is not
> dependent on braking  (i.e., when I brake the effect is not changed).
> Alignment & all the steering stuff has been done last fall (tie rods,
> ball joints, control arms & bushings, rack bushings, etc...).  This
only
> started recently.  I can somewhat lessen the effect by holding the
wheel
> very firmly.  What would this be?  Bad tires?  Could they have
developed
> flat-spots perhaps, after sitting all winter?  I've never experienced
> this on my other cars.  I will have them checked & re-balanced when I'm
> at my mechanic's place next time, but I thought I'd ask around here
> first for some insight.
>
> Also, just had the old stock alternator replaced with one of
Special-T's