[DML] Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!

[DML] Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!

I have helped replace a windshield on Brian Pollard's car.

In truth it's not that bad and I intend to replace mine this summer.
It's been cracked since I bought it 4 years ago.

The process is simple:

1. Remove all black metal trim around the windshield.
2. Remove all rubber seals around the windshield.
3. Using a lagging knife from Home Depot, heat with a propane torch
and plunge it into the rubber adhesive between the glass & fiberglass
body, cutting as far as you can until the blade cools. Repeat until
you've cut the entire perimeter of the glass. Kick the windshield out
from the inside.
4. Use thinner and a scraper to get the fiberglass frame perfectly
clean.
5. Use 3M windshield adhesive and lay a new bead around the
windshield frame perimeter.
6. With a helper, lay the new glass in place. Gently seat it. Let
cure for at least 12 hours. 24 would be better.
7. Install new seals around the windshield.
8. Replace the metal trim.
9. Drive.

Alignment is simple. If you look, you can see that the glass rests on
two metal clips at the bottom. That's it. It's simpler than most
vehicles. Don't try to reuse the rubber seals that you'll be
removing. Buy new ones. I've seen seals from a variety of vendors. PJ
Grady's seem to fit and seal best.

A "lagging knife" is a thin, flat blade that looks like a pirate's
hook squashed flat. If you remember, I live in MD so I may be able to
assist you. In fact, it might be beneficial as an educational seminar
for all MD owners.

Oh, you must order a new rearview mirror with adhesive TAPE. Do NOT
glue the mirror to the glass using a "button". The glass will crack.
It happens every time. Someone even just posted a picture. DMCH has
what you need.

I hope this helps.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397@...>
wrote:

> A couple weeks ago, my windshield started to crack.  I contacted my
> insurance company and they said to call the glass company of my
> choice.  I know only DMCH or the UK has the windshields prettyt
much,
> just need someone to put it in.  The place that replaced the
> windshield in my Jeep a year ago backed out.  They didn't want to
> replace a DeLorean windshield because of the car's "value" (insert
> laughing face here).  My insurance agent said she has just used all
of
> her resources finding someone local to install a windshield.
Everyone
> backed away.  In her thirty years of car insurance, she has never
> encountered this before.  She asked if I know any owners in PA
because
> I may have luck with a shop up there.  Dan Plakosh, Dave Stragand
and
> Jeff Porter, do you know anyone with DeLorean windshield
experience?