Re: [DML] Adjusting Doors

While it is true that the original outer door handles are relatively
weak, this problem is more likely related to the adjustable linkage
from the outer door handle to the bellcrank, rather than just weakness
on the door handle's part.  I have personally adjusted latch and lock
linkage in numerous DeLoreans.  The most common problem I see is the
linkage connecting the outer door handle to the bellcrank walks itself
backwards, and just barely, if at all, pulls the bellcrank far enough
to release the latches.  Its a cable and sleve connection (just like
the trunk and engine lid) and is easy to adjust.  Only the upper trim
piece on the door needs to be removed.  Once your in the door, pull up
all the way on the interior handle, watch the linkage where it goes.
Next, reach around the door and pull up all the way on  the exterior
handle, and notice the difference.  The linkage will likely travel
significantly less.  Adjust as necessary.

Another thing to check as long as your in the door is the
synchronization of the latches.  Have someone pull up on the handle
with your fingers or two scewdrivers in each latched latch.  If they
release at different times, adjust them to be in sync as well.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960