[DML] Re: adjustment nut on tranny......

[DML] Re: adjustment nut on tranny......

The tool does make it easy and prevents you from damaging the nut. It
can be done without the tool. Clean the area and put a drop of paint
(or nail polish) on the nut and the case to mark the exact position.
Using a blunt tool (like an old flat-bladed screwdriver or a drift
punch) a couple of taps should loosen the nut and you can finish
removing it by hand as you count the # of turns. You probably don't
even need a new "O" ring. Silicone should work fine. Reinstalling is
the reverse. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TURN THE NUT PAST YOUR PAINT MARK.
Doing this will throw critical adjustments off and dramaticaly shorten
the life of the final drive. If the output flange has a groove worn
into it you will need a "Speedi-Sleeve" or have the flange machined so
the new seal won't leak. Check the level of the lubricant in the
transmission when finished. Too much and it will leak, too little and
things will wear faster and be harder to shift.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757