[DML] 180A Altenator.

FWIW, 01860 has been running with the 180A alternator
for over a year no with no problems.

In comparison of the "idle voltage" of the 180A unit
versus the stock 90A, I'll take the 180A any day.

I'd be interested in seeing real specs on the 90A vs
110A vs 180A units to see how significant the change
is.

Here are the specs on my 180A unit:
(RPM is RPM at the alternator, NOT THE ENGINE)

1600 RPM: 73.1A
1800 RPM: 94.5A
3000 RPM: 155.9A
6000 RPM: 179.1A
8000 RPM: 183.3A

The crank shaft pulley is approx 6" diameter, while
the alternator is approx 2.5".

So, the alternator is spinning 2.4X faster than the
engine.

DMC should idle at 775RMP, so that would be 1860 RPM
(Wow!  My VIN, what a coincidence!) on the alternator.
 SO, at IDLE the 180A alternator is putting out more
power than the MAXIMUM of the stock alternator.   How
could that be bad?

I do agree with Dave, that to get the full benefit of
a high-power alternator, some of the other electrical
systems should be upgraded.  Most noted, the
electrical connection from the alternator to the
firewall.

The mistake most people make is thinking a high-power
alternator will fix all of their electrical problems.

--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are several reasons why it doesn't make sense
<SNIP>

http://mail.yahoo.com