RE: [DML] Fan Fix

Dale,

I've been mulling over replying to this since Wednesday because I don't wish
to start a flame or offend anybody but I feel you've touched on a potential
safety issue so I'm going to offer my opinion on the subject. I am very
familiar with the Fan Fail link wire solution as it pertains to the
DeLorean. The factory meant for it to be a temporary fix and NOT a solution
to the cooling fan circuit problems it was experiencing at the time. The
subsequent addition of in line fuses is also a temporary fix. If you run a
fused link wire it should be inspected at least every spring, in northern
climates, for signs of heat damage. In hotter environments it should be
inspected after every three months of air conditioner use and replaced every
few years. The link wire solution is not up to the loads placed on it for
extended periods.  I've personally replaced many partially melted and heat
damaged link wires before they led to fires but know of at least several
people who weren't so lucky. I could give you a first hand example but will
save it for a later day should it become necessary. "Fanzilla" and "The
little grey box" (as it is currently called for lack of a catchier name) are
both vastly superior to this stop-gap solution.

Any "Fan Fix" that incorporates an ATC style fuse-link as part of a
permanent solution is fatally flawed and needs frequent inspections to
insure safe continued use. Additionally if this ATC link is combined with a
relay setup that occasionally sticks on when the engine is off it is
potentially a recipe for disaster. I don't want to hear about somebody
losing their car, house, or life knowing that my knowledge of this potential
could have helped them avoid it. There...I said it...now I can sleep at
night! Call it sour grapes or business rivalry or what ever you want. I
previously mentioned this to the responsible party in private to no avail so
my conscience led me to post this.  Again I have no desire to start a
"flame" but people should be made aware of the possibilities as these
"Fix's" start to reach the end of their usable service life. This is an IMHO
but a strongly felt one.

Sincerely,

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.