Re: [DML] Re: Ripples or No Ripples?

On 5/18/06, Daniel <dmcburn75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They lose the ripple effect not so much from the shrinking as from the
> stretching.

Not to be argumentitive, but that statement doesn't really make much sense.
If the leather was getting stretched, the seat covers would get more loose,
instead of tighter like they do. Well, at least like the original covers in
my D and the others i've seen that haven't been recovered (or the rare few
that live indoors 24/7). Mine had actually shrank to the point the foam was
in compression enough that the seats were rock hard and one of the seams on
the seat back had broken it's stitching.  Back when I got out of high school
I worked in a upholstry shop for about 5 years, and I can tell you I never
saw a leather seat cover that fit more loosely on it's seat after it'd be in
use a few years in that whole time.

Actually, here's a little experiment you can do to prove it's a result of
moisture and heat. Take a 6"x6" square of new leather, soak it in water for
24 hours, then bake it in an oven until it's completely dry and I can
gaurentee you that it'll be at least 1/2" shorter on all sides. Probably
more.

What's happening is the oils are getting leached out of the leather to the
surface, which causes it to shrink and lose it's suppleness and flexibility.
I am in complete agreement about the leatherique though. Conditioning the
leather several times a year will greatly slow down the loss of the oils
from the leather and replentish some of the lost natural oils.

Chris
VIN #3209