[DML] Re: What effect- Ethanol?

In short, yes, yes, and yes. We've been running 10% ethanol here in
the Chicago area since around 1982 so we have a ton of experience
with it. I recently saw a dramatic example of the difference, as I'm
in the process of "bringing back to life" the second of two long-
storage cars.

Car #1 - not run in ~3 years, stored in the Chicago area so likely
stored with ethanol gas in it. Stored inside in climate-controlled
storage, car has never been in the rain. Maybe 4 gallons in tank.
Noted - rust on boot support, very strong "turpentine" smell, fuel
boot deterioration (replaced maybe 3 years ago). Very "stuck" fuel
distributor, obvious signs of rust deposits inside fuel lines and
accumulator. Fuel pump locked, it was also ~3 years old. Frequency
valve stuck. Everything (but the pump) did clean up after
considerable work an the car is now running great.

Car #2 - not been started since 1992 (14 years!), from outside the
immediate Chicago area, so it was most likely driven and put away
with normal 100% gas in it. Stored in a normal garage, normal
seasonal humidity changes, etc. Maybe 1.5 gallons in tank. It still
smelled bad, but there was NO rust on fuel support, perfectly clean
lines and ports, fuel distributor plunger was sticky but not like
glue, i.e. it came apart with a tug rather than a ton of solvent and
violence. The original 14+year-old fuel pump still works. The two in-
tank hoses look fine. Probably another week before I get it running,
though. I'm still replacing the filter and accumulator just on
general age-related principals.

Between the two cars, I expected the opposite. The only thing I can
attribute the better condition of Car #2 was thae fact that it was
put away with plain regular gasoline albeit a bit less of it in the
tank too.

Moral of the story - if you are going to store a car for more than 6
month, drain the tank and fuel system. Otherwise - DRIVE IT. The
shelf-life of ethanol-containing fuel is very short, it attracts
water, it's more corrosive. The ethanol is added to the gasoline as
it is loaded into the delivery truck - there's a reason for this. But
it still picks up water in the storage tank at the station. Once this
is in your car, over time it separates (if not driven which serves to
keep it mixed and fresh). Then it seems to start a nice little
weather system in the tank causing rust on parts that are not even
submerged in fuel.

I do not see these issues on cars that run more than a tank or two of
fuel thru them per year.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1@...>