From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of James Espey
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:09 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Ripples or No Ripples?

Absolutely no doubt, the seats should have ripples, and did come with
ripples when the car was new. I beg to differ with Jack here, as I
can't imagine a car that has been stored indoors its entire life NOT
having ripples. Here's a photo of a NOS seat bottom I just pulled from
the warehouse and dusted off:

http://www.delorean.com/seatbottom.jpg

I wouldn't hazard to guess what makes the leather shrink like the ones
in most DeLoreans today - UV, heat, cold, age? But the remaining NOS
ones here in the warehouse would suffer only from age - and they
aren't shrunk. Anyone who was at the KAPAC warehouse knows that it was
not temperature controlled, though everything was protected from
sublight. Same way here in Houston...

The photo on page 103 of SSI shows an interior - and it's partially
rippled, which incidentally is how the new seat covers look after
they've been in service for some time. A few pages earlier, on 101,
shows the grey seats with ripples, too.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Singer" <jsinger@...> wrote:

> I have fixed up and owned a number of Deloreans since 1983 and not one
> of them has had rippled seats.  Every one including those stored in
> doors its entire life has had tight leather with no ripples.
>
> In fact that is the easiest way to spot a recover is to look for the
> ripples.  Every time I see one, I ask if it was recovered and the
answer
> is yes.
>
> Jack
> 10002, 20069