[DML] Re: Need HELP!!! Odd Idle question...traveling and possibly stuck

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@...> wrote:

> have you checked the microswitch ?
>
> Elvis & 6548
>

> Here's what the car is doing:
>
> Started her up this morning, idle was normal.  Went to get gas, idle
> is normal, car is at operating temperature.  After driving for about
> 40 minutes on the highway, the car's idle was higher, now at 2000rpms.
>  As i hit a couple of traffic lights, the idle went back down to
> normal.

Yes.  Microswitch is fine, probed it, no problems.

UPDATE:

While frustrated, we pulled out the manual and did some reading on the
idle speed motor.  When the car's valley was cleaned and redone, the
speed motor was installed backwards.  So i went ahead and just
corrected that problem.

Now the car was warmed up, and idle was set properly.  Took the car
out for a test drive.  For the first half hour of the drive, the car
operates 100 percent normal... idle is normal.  Then... when slowing
down, the idle suddenly jumped a couple hundred rpms, and then settled
down again.  Odd i thought, but just kept watching.  Got on the
highway, all ok.  Went to go downshift for an offramp, the car is back
up at 3krpms!
Pulled over, couldnt get the car back to idle normally.

Started to drive back home, back on the highway, every time i clutch,
the engine keeps hovering around 3k rpms.  Make the turn off the off
ramp and over some railroad tracks...idle goes back to normal!!! the
last 7 minutes of the drive are normal.  Pull into the yard, rev the
car to 3k and hold for about 10 seconds, the car is FINE...no surging,
no rough idle...nothing.  Decide to keep her parked and unplug the
battery for the night.

Start car this morning, all 100% normal.  Drive car for about 3 hours
in city traffic, no highway...normal except a few times the idle
surges about 400 rpms and then returns... usually when clutching...did
this about 4 to 7 times.  Then, when coasting, if you go over a bump
in the road like a rail road crossing, the idle will surge once again.

Mike Hackey