[DML] R134a retrofit

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience with this?

I am considering the r134 retrofit #2 as described in the DMC news
technical archives, the cheap one. Here is my question. It does not
say anywhere that you have to get all of the r12 oil out before
charging with r134. It recommends flushing the system minus the
compressor. But there would still be oil in the compressor right?
And that oil would break down when in contact with r134 causing
compressor failure correct? I will eventually overhaul my entire
system but I thought I would try the cheap fix for this summer while
I save money. The article also does not mention adding any r134
compatible oil. Anyone who has experience with this mod, successful
or otherwise I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Nathan
2277

PS- how much should I pay for a can of r134 in Southern California?
I have seen it from $15 to $7, but have read it should be $4.50.
(for 13oz)