[DML] Re: Maintance and regular upkeep issues

[DML] Re: Maintance and regular upkeep issues

Everything depends on condition. The more you spend "generally" the
better the car. The better the condition of the car the less you will
have to spend to make it reliable. Once properly fixed up a Delorean
is not a very expensive car to keep running. It is good on fuel and
the parts are no more expensive (in many cases cheaper) than the parts
on new cars. The big mistake many owners make is to take a 25 year old
car and just drive it without replacing all of the things that should
be replaced like many parts in the fuel system, cooling system, brake
system, recalls, upgrades, tires, etc. A lot of the work will involve
going over previous work that was done improperly or with the wrong
parts. Probably the "best" approach would be to go to one of the
Delorean vendors and get a refurbished car. There is an owner on the
list that uses his Delorean as a daily driver in New York City and has
a lot of mileage on it. Of course he uses a local Delorean vendor to
repair and maintain it. Another thing you will have to check into is
how you will be insuring it. Some insurance companies will not insure
you or will only provide limited coverage. Others may restrict your
use of the car. Others may only give you a very low value if it was
totaled or stolen. BTW if you have to finance the purchase you may
have trouble getting a loan on the car. The Delorean vendors may be
able to help you with that.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757