Re: [DML] Motorized bonnet action

Hey Kevin,

yes the bonnet takes about 10 seconds to open. this limit is set by the
motor speed within the autoloc linear actuator. the way these
mechanisms work, they are high torque motors with a gearing that makes
them strong yet slow. i tried running about 14 volts through it and it
doesn't speed it up, so it must have an internal regulator.

besides, the slower it opens, the cooler it looks.

that doesn't mean that a faster actuator doesn't exist out there, but
these actuators run about $200-400 depending on brand, and I've only
worked with the one i got.

In terms of space, the actuator when closed is about 18 inches long,
and has an eight inch actuator rod that extends it to about 26. the
motor controller and stamp processor fit in a space about the size of
your fist. As you will see below, those are optional.

Hey Allistair,

if i were to sell a kit to interface with Toby Peterson's wings-a-loft
remote, it would probably run about $600 for the custom-fabricated
brackets, mounting hardware, linear actuator, stamp board and software,
motor controller, wiring and installation instructions.

If you wanted a manual window switch in the cockpit, you'd have to hold
down the switch to move the door, just like a power window. but you
wouldn't need the motor controller or stamp. This kit would only
include the custom-fabricated brackets, mounting hardware, linear
actuator, wiring and installation instructions, and would probably run
about $350, depending upon the cost of fabricating the brackets. That's
the tricky and expensive part.

My final goal for this car is to have it be a video-podcast-mobile. By
mounting an iSight camera on the dashboard, I could interview my
passenger while we cruise around. The mac mini in the bonnet would
record the video on the fly.

If this DeLorean podcast thing really takes off, i'd be happy to take a
look at whatever A/V content you've got and possibly include it in any
future episodes.

I also have to give Allistair props for being another DeLorean owner
and Mac user! DeLoreans and Macs have a lot in common. They are both
iconoclastic, rebelling against the iron hands of General Motors and
Microsoft, respectively.

-Ryan Brandys

www.deloreanmacmini.com