[DML] Re: Today's Motor Oil

I saw that article in Hot Rod. I don't think it will matter all that
much to most of us. The PRV does not have that radical a cam or that
high a spring pressure. Most Deloreans aren't driven enough that this
would matter, and many of these additives are most useful at the
beginning for break-in. Once the parts are worn together the additives
become less important. If it does become a problem the article did
offer some alternatives. You can go to diesel oils, you can get
additives, etc. For the most part this is not as big a problem as it
may seem. Alcohol in the fuel and the price of fuel is probably a
bigger concern. BTW, along with the increasing content of alcohol is
the increased moisture content. Alcohol will hold a higher percentage
of water, kind of like adding a whole lot of "dry gas". It will absorb
water from the air. A double whammy. The alcohol wrecks the rubber
parts, and the water content corrodes the metal parts. Another good
reason to empty the fuel tank when in storage. Besides, fuels with
alcohol don't have as long a shelf life. Just one of the many things
owners of old cars will have to figure out a way to live with along
with getting parts and service. Kind of like what happened when lead
was taken out of gasoline.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bkp944" <bkp944@...> wrote:

> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: There are mountains of opinions about motor oil
in the archives, and more of those opinioins will not be posted in
response to this message. Only responses that directly address the
question of changes in additives for newer oils and the impact of the
lack of these additives for our engines will be posted.]