Re: [DML] Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

Re: [DML] Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

Harold,

There's a cooling fan wiring modification that you co-authored in the tech
section at the DMC News web site. You didn't mention it in your post below
but it's simple to do and allows the fans to run continuously while in the
AC mode rather than cycle continuously with the compressor. I've been
running my car with this mod for many miles with no problems. ( I am using
Bosch fan motors in place of the originals ) The fact you didn't mention it
here has me wondering if you've had a change of mind regarding this. The
amperage draw each time the fan motors start makes doing this modification
appear to be a must do mod and as I mentioned , after several thousand miles
I have yet to notice any ill effects.

Bruce Benson

The fans are what I would call "utility" quality. They are designed
to work in extreme conditions - to do this, their design is anything
but efficient. To start each fan requires 20 amps + or - a few
depending on the condition of the fans and the electrical system
connections, grounds, etc. This compares to 11 to 14 amps to run
each fan once started. As the saying goes - "you do the math". The
constant starting of the fans is extremely hard on all components of
the circuit and soon leads to a failure of the weakest part in the
circuit - usually the OEM circuit breaker (a 35A standard duty
circuit breaker with "pressed" connections) or the OEM blue module
(notorious for poor quality inside) or the single relay (20/30 amp
rated - that means 30 amps start 20 run). If you beef up one thing,
another component will soon fail - maybe in flames. BTW the motor
will be the last thing to go in my experience.

Harold McElraft - 3354