[DML] Review of 1981 Delorean coming up for sale/virtually factory new

[DML] Review of 1981 Delorean coming up for sale/virtually factory new

I was fortunate enough today to have the time to head over and look
at the car that Byron is trying to sell.  Despite the fact that my
allergies were making my eyes water and itch, at my first blurred
sight I knew this was a very special car.

I didn't realize that I had seen this car at a tech session last
October.  After sitting for so long, the car didn't run very well at
the time, but Dave Bauerle and his crew have brought this car up to
speed by giving it a tuneup and by performing the various safety
recalls that the car never had performed in the 1980's.

The odometer reads 2927 miles, and the condition of the car makes
this look very accurate.  The black interior of this car is
immaculate, and the original weatherstripping is still soft and
supple to the touch.  This surprised me, as did the leather seats.
While I at first thought that the skins were replacements, careful
analysis told me no--these were the original seats, yet they were
soft and still had all of their ripples.  The fact that these seats
haven't even slightly shrunk in 25 years leads me to believe this car
has seldom seen daylight.

The headliners had been removed and were being replaced, so those I
cannot critique.  I did notice that the body panels were flawless, as
was the gasflap hood.  Despite a light layer of dust (since the car
hasn't been detailed yet), there were no dings that I was able to
find at any angle I looked from (not even from the window motors!).

The frame looked amazing, and the epoxy was completely intact with no
discoloration.  There wasn't a single sign of corrosion or rust on
any bolt on the undercarriage.  I did notice that the front swaybar
had some slight surface corrosion, but this can be easily fixed, and
my guess is this will be taken care of before a new owner takes
possession of the car.  This was honestly the only flaw I could find
on the undercarriage, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to things
like this.

I peeked into the electrical comparment behind the driver seat and
that bracket looked perfect.  No corrosion whatsoever.  I can only
assume the fuse compartment behind the passenger seat looks the same,
I forgot to check it.

This car still had the original hoses, which looked good to me.
Since this won't be heavily driven, I see nothing wrong with them.

All in all, this car will be a real concours competitor once it is
detailed and taken up the Pheasant Run.
-Patrick C.
1880