Re: [DML] Question about Air Conditioning cycling

Re: [DML] Question about Air Conditioning cycling

The outside temp was about 70 deg F, and I was cruising around town
and not really revving the engine high.  As far as the filling of
R134A, when I brought it in for filling last August, I belive the
mechanic used the number from the owner's manual, as I did not know
how much refrigerant to tell him.  However, the manual must indicate
the amount of R-12 to use, instead of R134A.  Perhaps this is a
problem for me.

Paul

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom" <tomciodmc@...> wrote:

> Hi
> The symptoms you're describing can either mean that your A/C is
perfectly fine or that you have a small leak. It depends on the
outside temperature. The colder it is the shorter the compressor
will stay on and the hotter it is the longer it will stay on. It
also depends on the engine rpm. A short cycle as you described at
idle would mean it's ok as long as the outside temperature was
around 60 degrees F. If the temperature was higher than that it
probably means you have lost some of the refrigerant over the winter
which is to be expected with R-134a refrigerant and old R-12 hoses.
The reason for that is because of the molecule size difference
between the refrigerants. R-134a molecules are smaller than R-12
ones. For that reason converted systems often leak slowly because
the gas escapes right through the rubber hoses. The really proper
way to do a conversion to R-134a is to replace all rubber hoses and
use barrier hoses designed for R-134a. Or.... You can keep refilling
the system every spring. Just keep in mind that the proper and only
accurate way to measure the amount of refrigerant in the system is
to evacuate it completely and then refill it with the proper amount
of R-134a - for a DeLorean it should be about 2.0 - 2.2 lbs. of R-
134a.