Re: [DML] Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please (Delorean related)

Re: [DML] Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please (Delorean related)

Incidentally, the DeLorean Motor Center unit (which I think is in the
$150 range) replaces the speedo cable between the speedometer and the
LAMBDA unit.  They did the work for me when I had cruise control
installed just before I moved away from California.  The unit puts
out 8 pulses per revolution, I think (the pulses per revolution are
written on it, but I'd have to crawl under the dash to take a look).
I hooked it up to an oscilloscope at a friend's place where we found
out that it puts out a sine wave in positive voltage range (I can't
remember quite what the voltage was; most notably, it didn't swing
from positive to negative, which I understand magnetic units can
do).  I plan on tapping into it for some other projects I have
planned (which can, in part, be boiled down to an elaborate digital
speedometer).

The unit DMC has consists of the pulse generator (probably an optical
encoder?) with spinning speedo cables attached to it, making it easy
to replace the existing cable.  They'll sell you just the pulse
generator part if you want to construct/obtain your own cables, too,
although I'm not sure how involved that is.  There are two wires
coming off of the unit that you connect to whatever needs the pulses.

As for GPS, I'm currently using the TomTom software on my Palm
Tungsten T3, with TomTom's Bluetooth GPS module sitting on my dash,
which gives it an adequate view of the sky.  I live in northern
Vermont, so there aren't exactly a lot of tall buildings here to
block my LOS, but I've never had any real problems getting an
accurate signal, even when I drive around Boston, MA or Providence,
RI.  The worst I've had is when the maps don't match the actual roads
(because of relatively recent construction, for example), so the
software thinks I'm driving through a field or missed a turn, but
that's not too common.

This GPS combo is not tied into the car in any way (except for the
extra cig lighter sockets I added under the right drivers knee pad to
power the two devices), but the TomTom software seems to be smart
enough to account for the once-a-second or so update that the GPS
unit provides.  As such, it always displays nice, smooth motion by
extrapolating from previous positions.  If you miss a turn you can
see it hesitate for a bit, as it briefly believes that you DID make
the turn, but once you've gone far enough the wrong way (maybe fifty
to a hundred feet) it jumps to the proper location and accurately
tracks again.  This could also be explained by the relative
resolution of GPS, or the quality of the satellite signal at that
point in time.

The unit also reports the speed, which seems to be fairly accurate.
Due to the once-a-second or so updates, there is a slight reporting
lag, but it's not significant; I'm not going to replace my
speedometer with the GPS signal or anything like that, though.

-- Joe