Re: [DML] top speed

Hi Byron

It's interesting that you ask these questions and then link to Stuart's
page because Stuart has one of our Stage II's (change of ignition
distributor, bin of lambda system, free-flow exhaust, higher compression
pistons and high lift cams). He is also a professional cameraman and is
planning on taking his car for a run with the camera rolling and a GPS
so he can verify the GPS against the time code on the recording (don't
understand in detail how this works!)

If I remember correctly the normally aspirated GTA has a top speed of
140+, and it has the same gear ratios as the DeLorean but with slightly
smaller back tyres. It has a carb'd high compression 2.8 odd-fire and
knocks out 160hp according to the book.

My 300hp project is coming along very slowly because it's all down to my
time and my money, and customers will insist on wanting their DeLoreans
worked on :-) I -am- doing a proper twin-turbo on #2727 which came with
an Island setup, and I happen to have a Renault 25 turbo engine from
which I've already recycled the block (go back a week or so and you can
read all about it). I have two donor low compression 3 litre engines for
my project, it's just a matter of buying the bits. One silver lining in
the delay is that Link have come out with a new generation ECU which
looks to be, as we say over here, the dog's bollocks. In the Alpine
camp, there's a guy who bought a brand new crate bottom end from a
Safrane BiTurbo to go in his GTA. He has spared no expense and "will be
disappointed with less than 350hp". That is also a work-in-progress at
the moment.

> I would feel
>safer holding the pedal to the floor in a DeLorean than a Datsun 280Z
>or early 80's vette, Porsche and BMW any day. Put extra power in those
>cars and they are death machines. It seems you can increase lots of
>power in the D. I was told the stock transmission is built to
>withstand 300HP. With better stopping power, I would have no problem
>driving a Delorean 170MPH. how safe would you feel with comparable
>upgrades to any of the competing cars of that era?

Well, my business partner Dan might like to tell you about his former
Esprit one day. A Giugiaro body on an S4 Chassis with a Lotus works (?)
turbo engine knocking out well over 300bhp (which is slightly more than
300 american hp). As for the gearbox, our expert told me, in as many
words "they will handle up to about 300, more than 350 and you WILL
break something". Personally I believe that with the shorter 4th an 5th
we have, we're likely to snap input shaft couplers (but thanks to Toby
that problem goes away) and the next weakest link is probably the
driveshafts. Esprit ones are somewhat fatter.

Martin