Re: [DML] BAE Turbo Documentation

In the lower rpm ranges most of the advance is VACUUM advance, not
mechanical advance. Installing a BAE kit should not affect vacuum advance at
all. The modifications made to the distributor to limit mechanical advance,
if done properly according to the BAE instructions, will only affect the
advance curve beginning around 3500 rpm.

If you do, in fact, have too much advance at low speeds (below 3500 rpm)
look elsewhere for the problem(s).

As soon as the throttle is opened slightly above idle, the idle switch will
cause vacuum advance to be applied. You will see about 20 degrees of vacuum
advance right away. That advance decreases as the throttle is opened, but as
it decreases mechanical advance comes in. There are two stages of mechanical
advance on the DeLorean.

Before doing anything to change the advance you may want to map the advance
curve by using an advance timing light to take advance measurements every
500 rpm. It could be that advance is part of your problem, but it would be
better to know for sure before you start chasing read herrings!

-Joe Kuchan