Re: [DML] This may be a dumb question but,

Re: [DML] This may be a dumb question but,

hi all

sorry to rock the boat but i don't quite agree.

i bought mine and shipped to the UK. a non runner and have spent the
last year and a half doing a bit at a time.
if i had waited till i saved say £15000 it would never have arrived
as the wife etc would want to see that sort of cash on a new kitchen
etc!!

so i bought a rebuild, do a bit at a time, buy second hand off ebay
if you wish (virtually all parts come up at sometime but don't skimp
on anything needed for safety.)

sometime if you want something that bad you have to listen to your
heart and not your wallet, you only live once.

my car now runs and drives short distance. next is a screen and a
small weld patch, but i can still 'live the dream' in my garage, and
soon out on the road.
classic cars will always cost money and not really for sensible,
economy concsious people, for that buy a small diesel.

just my idea anyway.

Steve  UK

ps if john Delorean had just followed his wallet and been sensible,
would he have stayed at where he was and never built the DMC 12 and
lived his dream?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright@...>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This question comes up from time to time. Be prepared for a harsh
reality.

> On 4/3/06, mrfordaholic <mrfordaholic@...> wrote:
> > I have never owned a DeLorean, but have been in love with them
since
> > they first came out new. To be honest, i do not have the money
to go
> > out and buy one in mint shape. I do belive I could afford one
that
> > needs to be restored however.
>
> Unfortunately, this line of thinking is incorrect. You may be able
> afford a car that needs restoration, but you won't be able to
afford
> to actually restore it if you can't afford to buy a nice one.
>
> Your typical DeLorean in great shape will run $20k, give or take. A
> project car might be half that. Unfortunately, the general rule is
> that your project car is going to cost more to restore than if
you'd
> just bought a nice DeLorean to begin with. Let's say you get a
great
> deal on a beat up DeLorean for $8k. You'll probably have $30k into
it
> by the time you're done, not including countless hours of your
time.

> You would have been better off just spending the ~$20k on a good
> DeLorean to begin with.
>
> My suggestion: Take whatever cash you were going to put toward the
> purchase of a beat up DeLorean (don't tell me you were going to
> finance a car you can't drive) and put it in a savings account. Add
> money to it as often as you can and when you've got about $20k, go
pay
> cash for a nice car. I guarantee you'll be better off and more
happy
> with your car in the end.
>
> > So my
> > question is, how hard is it to find parts? I know to get in the
right
> > circles and clubs to help find them, but are the parts out
there, or
> > should I give up? I plan on taken a couple of years or more to
do one
> > right, and trust me, it would be my baby! Any opinions or advice
would
> > be very helpfull.............thank you
>
> Parts are, for the most part, easy to find:
> http://www.memfrag.com/mf.app?ssdir=9&dataid=15
>
> But if you're going to spend a couple of years restoring, not being
> able to drive the car, you might as well be putting the money you
> would be spending on parts into a bank account to save for a nice
> DeLorean.
>
> Of course, if you really want to restore a car because you find
> enjoyment in the actual process, and if you don't mind spending
$10k
> more than the car will be worth on top of countless hours of your
> time, then a restoration/project car would be the way to go.
However,