[DML] Re: Manual transmission observation

[DML] Re: Manual transmission observation

Drive the car around and get it good and hot. The clutch line is
above the frame, so it gets heated by the water lines and fuel tank
but it takes a while.

Put a floor jack under the back end frame, lift both rear tires off
the ground. Chock the front wheels. If (legal disclaimer here) it
falls and runs over you, don't blame me.

Put on the e-brake. Start the engine. Put the clutch to the floor.
Put the car in gear (first) with the clutch on the floor. Let the
ebrake off. If the wheels start turning you can tell that it's still
dragging. You can modulate the pedal and find the true engagement
point. The reason you can't tell in normal driving is that it doesn't
take much friction to make the gears clash.

Replace the hydraulic line - it's about $100 and will save you
thousands in trans repairs. (well - hundreds if you do it yourself.)

Dave

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nathan Sobieralski"
<valleyrat12@...> wrote:

> I was worried it could be that. How do I confirm that the clutch is
> not disengaging all the way? I was sure that it was disengaging
> because when the clutch is disengaged at a complete stop the car
> will not roll when in gear.
>
> Nathan
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@> wrote:
> >
> > Change the clutch line ASAP if not sooner. It's causing you to
NOT