[DML] Re: Motor Oil Spill - Clean Up

If you have spills on bare, untreated concrete the way to get rid of
them is easy. First get up as much of the spill as you can either with
shop towels, scoops, rags, etc. Next spread out crushed, dry, clay, it
is kitty litter, speedi-dri, it goes under a lot of names. The kitty
litter is a little more expensive because they add odorants and other
things but you can get it anywhere. The more generic, cheaper stuff
you get at any large auto supply but it usually comes in much larger
bags. Spread it out in a thin layer over the spill and let it soak up
the rest. Best to leave it overnight. Next, remove the layer and
spread a thinner layer over the spill. Now use a short piece of 2X4
maybe 6" long and rub it over the speedi-dry with light pressure on
the concrete. It will suck up the stain and fill the pores of the
concrete. A better way to go is to paint the floor with an epoxy
coating so spills don't soak into the concrete. If you know you are
going to be spilling on the floor spread some speedi-dri out first so
the oil soaks it up before it touches the floor. In some areas you
must dispose of the oily clay as a hazardous materiel so check it out
before you toss it in the garbage. This also works on ashphalt
driveways. Don't ask me how I know this works! I finally got tired of
all the stains and painted my garage floor. I found it also made it
much brighter when working under the car. The floor reflects a lot of
light now.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rodney rael" <rodrael1@...> wrote:

> Steve:
>
> The recommendations given so far are great....   but if the spill is
on dry
> concrete driveway, sometimes the "kitty litter" or equivalent is not
> sufficient to remove the stain, so I use a product called "Pour and
> Restore"   it is available at any Ace hardware store chain.   It is
a liquid
> that you put on the oil stain, leave it on till the whitish liquid dries
> then broom sweep up (usually after about a week)  Remarkably the oil
stai