[DML] The first "proper" twin turbo DeLorean PRV since Legend

[DML] The first "proper" twin turbo DeLorean PRV since Legend

Hi All

What with all this recent talk about engine mods, I thought I'd share a
couple of random, and fairly poor photos I took today of an engine I'm
working on with a friend (not for a customer :-)

It -was- an Island twin turbo DeLorean engine from auto #2727 which is
getting a 5-speed conversion as well as this engine. I have fitted the
crank, pistons and one head from a 2458cc Renault 25 turbo. The cam in
the other head is off being machined to fit the distributor drive from a
3 litre Renault Safrane engine so it can go at the "wrong" end of the
head, so that head is still waiting to go on. It isn't pretty as this is
in the realms of experimentation and general curiosity but the heads
have been faced, the (sodium cooled) valves are all clean and re-lapped
(hands still sore) with new stem seals, all new shells, seals and rings
on the pistons. All the shiny bits are on the inside, basically! Damn
it'll go well on a bar of boost :-) I'm using the bellhousing from a 25
turbo (identical apart from trigger sensor mount - ain't ebay great),
the gearset from a donor DeLorean gearbox, built in to a Renault 30
casing. 25 turbo clutch (stronger), I'm using the flywheel from a 25
turbo with the trigger ring slightly modified to suit a configurable
aftermarket ECU (why oh why did Renault pick such a stupid trigger
pattern?!). Exhaust will be 100% Island setup, the intake pipework will
be custom with twin intercoolers where the exhaust muffler isn't, dump
valve and a couple of simple cone filters on the turbo intakes, ducted
from inside the pontoons. Compression ratio is 8:1 and this is achieved
in the heads, not by the pistons. At first glance, they look exactly the
same as DeLorean ones, but you can see the blocked off unused
distributor port and the un-machined drive on the camshaft. We had a
nightmare of a time putting the pistons in and I suspect the conrods
were ever-so-slightly out of true because I ended up re-fitting the rods
from a 24v 3 litre Citroen PRV (identical) which fit perfectly. Praise
be to the PRV god that made all even-fire gudgeon pins fully floating!
Intake manifold, throttle body, injector rails etc, all 25 turbo, with
the injectors themselves being Alpine A610/ Safrane bi-turbo as they're
really cheap from Renault at the moment, for some odd reason.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2196.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2198.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2199.JPG

I might do DeLoreans for a living, but this stuff is still fun to me :-)

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk