Re: [DML] Front Ride Height Intentions - Documented Proof

Re: [DML] Front Ride Height Intentions - Documented Proof

Hi All

It has always been quite a talking point on this side of the 'pond'
too, a number of documents i have sourced clearly show the
regulations in the US for bumper heights and damage caused by
impacts to these at the time of the production of the DeLorean. This
particular info is taken from:-

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Whilst i could have posted the exact sections relating to our
subject i think its important to read the whole document and
understand the changes that were going on at the time of design
through to manufacture

I read with interest the bumper height stated at the end of
paragraph 5

Quote:-

5) When did the bumper standard first come into effect and how has
it changed over the years?

On April 9, 1971, the agency issued its first passenger car bumper
standard -- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS)
215, "Exterior Protection," which became effective on September 1,
1972. This standard called for passenger cars, beginning with model
year (MY) 1973, to withstand 5 mph front and 2 ½ mph rear impacts
against a perpendicular barrier without damage to certain safety-
related components such as headlamps and fuel systems.

In October 1972, Congress enacted the Motor Vehicle Information and
Cost Saving Act (MVICS Act) which mandated that the agency issue a
bumper standard that yields the maximum feasible reduction of costs
to the public, taking into account the cost and benefits of
implementation, the standard's effect on insurance costs and legal
fees, savings in consumer time and inconvenience, and health and
safety considerations.

The new requirements under the MVICS Act were then consolidated with
existing requirements in FMVSS 215 and promulgated in March 1976 as
a new bumper standard, which was added to NHTSA's regulations at 49
CFR Part 581. The new standard which applied to passenger cars
beginning with MY 1979, was referred to as the Phase I Standard. At
the same time, a "no damage" requirement (Phase II) was placed on
bumper systems for model year 1980 and subsequent years. (See
question 6 for more information on Phase I and II requirements.)

The most recent revisions to the bumper standard took place in May
14, 1982, effective for MY 1983 and subsequent model year passenger
cars. This amendment reduced test impact speeds from 5 mph to 2.5
mph for longitudinal front and rear barrier and pendulum impacts and
from 3 mph to 1.5 mph for corner pendulum impacts. In addition,
Phase I damage resistance criteria were substituted for Phase II
criteria and a bumper height requirements of 16 to 20 inches was
established for passenger cars.

6) What do Phase I and Phase II mean? How do they differ and how
much damage does the standard allow?

Phase I and II refer to a two-phased rulemaking action on bumper
requirements. Phase I of the standard became effective on September
1, 1978 for passenger cars beginning with MY 1979. It incorporated
the FMVSS 215 safety criteria, and added new performance criteria
which prohibited damage to all exterior vehicle surfaces. For MY
1979, the standard required that there be no damage to safety-
related parts and exterior surfaces not involving the bumper system
(e.g., sheet metal; lamps; and fuel, exhaust and cooling systems)
with damage to the facebar and its fasteners at impact test speed of
5 mph front and rear impacts with barrier and pendulum; 3 mph corner
impact with pendulum.

More stringent damage resistance criteria known as Phase II became
effective one year later, on September 1 1979, for MYs 1980 to 1982,
and consisted of 5 mph longitudinal front and rear impacts with
barrier and pendulum; 3 mph corner impact pendulum, all with no
damage to the bumper itself beyond a 3/8 inch dent and 3/4 inch set
or displacement from original position.

Two cars i have measured witth 'euro height' springs now fitted are
between 15" and 15.5 " to the bottom of the 'black' part of the
bumper.

What is the standard height on a non lowered d  to the bottom of the
black part of the bumper?

Kind Regards

Mike
Yorkshire UK