[DML] Re: Head mods

Because of the way the PRV engine was manufactured there is not a
whole lot to be gained by porting and polishing. It is not built like
a traditional American motor with mismatched ports, rough castings,
protuding flashing, etc. That said, it can't hurt either, just don't
expect much. You cannot increase displacement by just changing
pistons. That would involve "boring and/or stroking". Boring is
another way of saying increase the diameter of the cylinders (which
does mean changing the pistons) and stroking means changing the
crankshaft for more piston travel. Boring and stroking the PRV is not
easy in the US, we do not have easy acess to the parts. This engine
was a lot more popular in Europe. You would have to guess what parts
to try. It could take a lot of trial-and-error. DMCH did this and they
call it their "Stage II" crate engine. On the outside it looks pretty
stock except for the exhaust. It does produce more power than stock
but not a whole lot more. This is a great upgrade if you have to
replace a motor anyway (because you melted it from a failed coolant
system for instance).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757