[DML] Re: Flatbedding Delorean - to cover or not to cover?

[DML] Re: Flatbedding Delorean - to cover or not to cover?

Derek and others,

Dave Swingle may chime in before me, but here goes anyways.

I have used the following method with very good success and
have recommended it to others and it has worked out for them.

The goal is to keep the car covered and protected without doing
and damage from a car cover buffetting in the wind as you tow.

Supplies needed:

1 car cover, good fitting (cheap is OK)
1 bungee cord (with at least 6ft stretch)
1 roll of stretch wrap (used on pallets)
2 rolls of Duct Tape (original silver gray)
2 or more people will make the process easier

Purchase a roll of stretch wrap.  This material is usually used
to secure stacked boxes on pallets for shipping purposes. This
can be purchased through WW Grainger or other company supply
or office supply stores. (Office Max or Depot, Staples, etc.)
While you are there, make sure to pickup a two pack or three
pack of Duct Tape (the silver works well for all weather use).

If you already have a good car cover, skip to the next step,
but if not, almost any car cover (that fits well) will do.
There is a Budge brand gray cover sold at Walmart that is a
good throw away cover, if you transport in snow or slush.

Put the car on the trailer and make sure you do not need to
If the car has run fort a while, wait until it cools down.
Secure the car to the trailer with straps, chains, etc.

Put the cover on the car and hold it down (under the car) with
at least one bungee cord during the next step covering process.
Make sure the cover stays snug to the car.  If it billows, run
some Duct Tape around it to keep it more snug for the wrapping.
As you get ready to start wrapping with the streatch wrap, keep
the stretch wrap stretched and snug as you wrap over the cover.

Secure the end of the stretch wrap to a rear tow hook or around
an exhaust bracket and begin wrapping the car, going under and
over the car, from driver side to passenger side, overlapping
the wrap by at least 2" as you move from back to front.  Secure
the wrap on one of the front tow hooks or another secure bracket
when you are finished with the first wrap pass in the front.
You can run a few strips of duct tape over the center of the car,
front to back, to make sure the overlapped wrap does not slip.

Next, secure the end of the stretch wrap to a rear tow hook and
wrap the lower part of the car, wrapping around the perimeter of
the car, overlapping as you go up, and finish at about the mirror
height by securing the wrap to the loop on the louver latch.
You can run a few strips of duct tape over the areas of the car,
side to side, to make sure the overlapped wrap does not slip.

Next, repeat the first wrapping step, back to front, and keep the
stretch wrap even more snug and maintain a good 3"-4" overlap.
After the wrapping is complete, run a few more strips around the
front of the car, to help keep the leading edge of the wrap nice
and secure, even encapsulating the entire front fascia area if
you want, to help protect against rocks of the tow vehicle tires.

Your covered car is now ready to be transported without worrying
about buffetting of the cover.  Depening upon the weather during
the transport, your car should be clean and dry when you remove
all the stretch wrap and the cover at its final destination.

Carry the extra wrap and tape, just in case things start to loosen
up along the way and make sure to check the wrap at each stop.

Good luck and tow safely.

Later,
Rich W.