Re: [DML] Re: Ball joints

David

I do not know for sure where the ball joints came from as I got them with
the car. I just installed them without thinking that they are not the
correct ones. My mistake I guess... There were installed correctly, but they
were a cross reference parts. I later found out that there is a number
stamped on them that matches a number in a parts cross reference that can be
found on the internet. When I looked at the broken joint closely it's pretty
clear the it was NOT designed to carry the weight of the car. In case of the
DeLorean they actually do that, they carry the weight of the front of the
car. The ball joint that failed was Moog KF-33 and the reference also list a
number: K-9025. Those parts are WRONG!! They are not designed to carry the
weight and will fail under load.
You are right, both of my lower ball joints are the same and I am not
driving the car. I will replace both of them and I will get the right ones
this time. Unfortunately you are right about checking the control arm... I
checked it and it is in fact bent. It happened before the winter and I'm not
driving the car since. I need to replace the lower control arm because it is
not repairable. What's even worst.. it seems that the frame itself has
sustained some damage right where the control arm is attached to it.
BTW, the joint failed while driving fairly slow but going straight - no
turns.
I'm waiting for the weather to improve as we again have snow coming our
way... this endless winter is killing me :)

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  52°25'17"N 21°1'59"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com

for the future searches....
cross reference lower ball joint replacement moog KF-33 or K-9025
WARNING
Even though the part will fit it is not designed for the forces encountered
in the DeLorean and it will fail!