[DML] Re: advice on stubborn bolt

Breaking off a drill, tap, or extractor is probably the worst thing
you can do. With that being said there is still hope. Sometimes you
can get lucky with a small hammer and centerpunch. Try working the
extractor back and forth. If you can move it even a little then there
is a good chance you can get it out. If it won't move at all then you
have to try drilling it out. It is possible (with a lot of luck and
experience) to drill it with a carbide bit like as used to drill
concrete). You have to go a little at a time and constanly redress the
tip. You can also buy a titanium drill bit, again very difficult to do
and stay centered but will hold an edge longer but you need a special
grinding wheel to redress it. Another option is to lay a washer over
the mess and try to weld a nut to the broken bolt. Then, if all goes
well, you just unscrew the whole mess right out! A lot depends on the
skill of the person and his personal experience with each method. If
you are a novice machinest maybe the thing to do is to have the car
towed to the shop. Try to talk them into an "appointment" so it won't
stay in their shop in their way. Do not be tempted to skip it and hope
it won't leak much without the bolt. It will.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757