[DML] Re: Help! Truck cable broken!

My thoughts were that any movement of the inner cable might be enough
to unlatch the hood. As long as the inner cable is still connected to
the mechanism and you can get a grip of it you might be able to
unlatch the lock. The outer cable, with enough force, might move but
it is better to try cutting through to the inner cable if you can and
again, if it is still attached. If the inner and outer cable is
jammed, pulling on either may get the lock to unlatch. The inner cable
usually breaks right by the release handle, there is plenty to pull on
with a plier. I have never tried the broomstick and hook method
although it looks like it could work. I have seen the cut-the-latch
method and although not elegant, it does get the job done. Afterwards
the hook can be welded back together. In any case after going through
this (or seeing or hearing about it) most owners will put the
emergency cable in! Good idea to do it on the rear engine cover too
but it is possible to open it even without it.
David teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright@...> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@...> wrote:
> > I have seen that work. The other possability is that you may still be
> > able to get a hold of the inner cable. You might have to cut the outer
> > cable back to get a grip on it but it is still easier than chopping up
> > the latch. Get a vise-grip and go hunting under the dash. Maybe try
> > pulling on the outer and inner cable while someone tries lifting the
> > hood.

[moderator snip]