[DML] Re: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?

My suggestion to you would be to go over the ignition system. I would
clean and regap the spark plugs (or change them if they are old)
replace the ignition wires, cap and rotor if they are old, and (I
think this is where the real problem is) test out and make sure the
ignition bypass relay is working. It is there to give you full voltage
when starting by bypassing some of the ballast resistor. If it doesn't
work you are starting the car at a reduced voltage. While cranking the
battery voltage is lowered. That will lower the ignition (secondary)
voltage proportionaltly. The bypass is used to give you a hot spark in
spite of that. The other problem may be a bad connection or a failing
pick-up coil in the distributer. A further possability is a weak
ignition coil. I would also look over the vacuum circuit to the
Control Pressure Regulator. You might have a vacuum leak or maybe
something is not connected correctly. If you can get a hold of another
one to swap with I would see if that makes any difference. A dirty
electrical connection somewhere can be part of this. I agree that it
may be the culmination of several little things (problems like this
usually are on a 25 year old car). At least you know you don't have to
go hunting in the fuel system!  To get an internal combustion engine
started you need 3 things to work. You need the mechanical system (the
pistons, valves, etc to work and be timed) the fuel system, and the
electrical system. We can rule out a problem with the motor, the fuel
system, so that leaves us with the electrical system. Do you get a
nice thick blue spark when cranking warm?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757