Re: [DML] You Tube

I feel the need to reply to this message from VB.  I know he likes my site
overall, but for some reason he is a little obsessed with complaining about
my video clips.  It is a little ridiculous, but everyone has their holdups I
guess.

For those that have been visiting my site for seven years now, the
technology for video encoding has changed drastically, as has the speed of
internet connections, etc.  My site has a massive amount of content, and for
those that haven't visited lately, my brother and I have recently completed
a huge rebuild to the site in terms of redesign/reorganization to take
advantage of the changing technology.

The majority of video encoding we did in the past was done using Real Medial
Player, which was the dominant player several years ago and was universal
for both macs and pcs.  A lot of people forget what it was like to have a
56K modem, so I optimized the clips as much as I could and kept them at a
small size.  They are certainly viewable, and don't suck in my opinion and I
think it is a little presumptuous to assume that everyone feels that way VB.

The new clips I am putting on my site now are mpeg 4 QuickTime clips that
are larger and have better compression schemes.  Their file sizes are larger
than my old clips, but I feel that most people surf with high speed
connections today, so that is ok.  In terms of going back and redoing the
hundreds of clips I have on my site, that is a massive amount of work.
Between work, school, and the time I put into improving the web-site in
other ways and creating new content, it doesn't rank high in my concerns.

I hope this clears things up and I always appreciate any "real" suggestions
to improve my site.  You can feel free to email me off the list, as opinions
are usually better regulated to personal exchanges as opposed to list
serves.

Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com