Re: [DML] Cutting Keys

On 2/24/06, Tom Tait <TTait@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Start by heading to the local locksmith and pay the guy $6 or so to cut
> you two keys from his blanks, if they work, you know that he's not an
> idiot, you have 2 more keys, and you can get your nicer blanks cut with
> little concern.

Getting someone to cut copies from cheap blanks is a great idea. Some
people are simply terrible at cutting keys. I tried to get a copy of a
key at a hardware store once; took the guy several tries to get it
right, each time they made me go through a long process of
return/exchange before I could walk out to the parking lot and test
it.

I'd hate to have them screw up half a dozen nice blanks from DMCH!

I had my DMCH blanks cut at a local locksmith and got a few cheap
blanks while I was at it. The cheap blanks are not only useful for
testing to see if the locksmith is decent before cutting your good
ones, they're also nice to keep around for emergencies, etc, or for
use in one of those "hidden key" things to mount on the car.

-Ryan