[DML] Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

[DML] Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

One way to confirm a valve knock is to use a stethescope. Or a long
bar or screwdriver and you place the other end on your skull just in
front of your ear. If you hear a loud metallic knock it is probably a
loose valve. It can't hurt to check the valve clearances anyway but in
many cases what seems sure to be a loose valve is usually an exhaust
leak. The reasons you will want to fix it is it will generally get
louder, it may send smells and CO into the passenger compartment, and
you can damage hoses and wires from the heat. One of the worst jobs
you can do on a Delorean IMHO. Not for a novice. Best results are
obtained using an acetalyne torch to heat and loosen fasteners before
you break them off! They can be drilled out with a right-angle drill
but it is very tricky to do it and stay centered and straight. With
37,000 on the clock and you don't know if a valve adjustment was done
at 30,000 I would do one anyway. I would also reset the Lambda counter
and replace the O2 sensor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757