RE: [DML] New Owner 8:00 2/8/06 Vin #d000764

RE: [DML] New Owner 8:00 2/8/06 Vin #d000764

Mine sat for 12 years - here is what I did -

Pull the pump and baffle out of the tank ant thoroughly muck it out by
hand.  I eventually used carb cleaner and rags.  At the same time, send
you injectors out to be cleaned and tested - you won't be needing them
for a while.

Then I replaced the fuel filter.  I purchased a $15 low pressure fuel
pump and a handful of inline paper filters.  I unhooked the fuel feed
and return lines from the distributor, and using a bolt and washers was
able to tie them together, completely bypassing the entire fuel system
in the engine compartment.  Then I got a gallon or two of B12 and a
plastic tub.  I used the cheap pump to circulate B12 through the system,
with a filter on the return line where it dumped into the tub.  I'd if
for 10 minutes, then dump the B12, change the paper filter, add fresh
B12 and run again.  Eventually the system ran clean.  I then immediately
flushed the system with gasoline - B12 is not great for some rubber
components.  The replace the fuel accumulator, any fuel lines, the pump
and pickup, re-install the baffle, the main fuel filter (yes again) -
the tiny O ring in the fuel distributor, re-install your injectors with
new boots, and your fuel system should be good to go.

You will still need a full tune up, a clean up of the valley of death,
Your water pump, hoses and radiator are probably in very rough shape,
replace your coil cap rotor wires and plugs, your vacuum lines and
belts, get an Optima battery, check your fluids, and try to start her.
If your like me that will take until August.

Don't leave gas sitting in the tank all that time or you may have to
start over.

Most of all - have fun.  Nothing here is as terrible as it sounds.

Final advice - go to a junkyard and find a Volvo with a B28f engine and
pull everything apart including the intake manifold, even the water
pump. - it's a great confidence builder on an engine that is not your
own.

Good luck.

Tom