[DML] Re: Fixed my antenna, sort of...

I did the $15 Pep Boys "close to" antenna mast replacement too.
As it turned out, the antenna I selected had a "ball" too large to
fit through the top nut. Nutless, mine vibrates a tiny bit but works
OK otherwise.

Anyone else considering this replacement option might want to match
their old belt teeth to the new one AND consider the size of the
ball before purchasing a mast.

One issue might be that your mast is rubbing against the opening in
the pontoon, preventing smooth retraction.

I had to cycle the antenna about a dozen times before it would
retract completely.  As I observed the antenna, I got my son to
cycle the radio power on/off each time the antenna stopped moving.
(You could probably use your rearview mirror to monitor the antenna
while you controlled the power.) The spool eventually accepted the
whole length of belt.

You might want to compare the length of your new belt with the
combined pieces of the old one.  I believe I had to shorten mine a
little to help eliminate the symptoms you describe. If you don't
have the old pieces, trim very gradually or you'll be headed back to
Pep Boys! :)

As I recall, the end of the belt on my new mast had a shape that may
have slipped a little and retraction wouldn't always start promptly.
I'm not positive the antenna motor's run is time-based, but the
motor "seemed" to time out before the antenna got all the way down.
I remember trimming mine to match the shape on the original and it
seemed to help retraction start more consistently and end more
completely.

Of course, your mast and experiences may vary.  Hope this helps.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12@...>
wrote:

> I disassembled my antenna to find that the nylon feed gear was
broken
> in a couple of places. I went to Pep Boys and purchased one that
> looked "close" to the original. It took a few attempts but finally
the
> mechanism accepted the new antenna.
>
> The only problem is that sometimes the antenna does not make it
all
> the way down. It gets stuck and then does not complete retraction.
If