[DML] Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators

[DML] Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators

The OEM plastic radiators do give you a lot of warning. Most that I
have seen are turning green. A BIG warning sign, it is just difficult
to see it. With the radiator tucked up underneath and the shroud
covering it, it is not easy to get a good look. You have to get the
car up, your head up into the area behind the radiator, a flashlight,
and look at the left side of the radiator inside the shroud. If you
look at the area of the seam between the left tank and the core you
will see green streaks indicating leaking. The corrosion builds up
eventually forcing the tank right off the core! The left side of the
radiator works the hardest, that is where the hottest coolant is
entering. It is also where you would expect it to fail and it does.
Another problem with the origional radiators is that the plastic gets
brittle over time. If you are not gentle (and even if you are) you can
easily break the little nipple off on the top right side. Radiators
were never meant to last 20 years! If you want a reliable driver you
MUST consider replacing the radiator. If it fails you have no other
option except being towed. The radiator can't be replaced on the
roadside and there is no way to "patch" the tank back on. I am not
convinced the all brass radiator is better or worse at exchanging
heat, but I do believe the brass radiator will last longer. Besides,
any NOS plastic radiator is going to be 20 years old. Even if it
hasn't been used in a car it has aged and that can't be good. As far
as not fitting well, that is only a minor installation issue which can
be managed. The bigger problem with replacing the radiator is the
limited access and those tiny screws and nuts you will be breaking! A
question of the day. Do a rough calculation on the force against the
header tank on the radiator with 15 psi. Consider the temperature it
gets to also. You will be amazed at the kind of pressure trying to
blow the tank off! Who wants to trust a 25 year old radiator now?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757