[DML] Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

[DML] Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

Well, that was clever! The noise is normal. On some cars it is more
pronounced than others and under certain driving conditions it can be
more or less. What is the variable here is the decel valves in the
throttle plates. Make sure they are not stuck and they move easily on
the springs. Much more important on a 5-speed than an automatic. What
is happenning is when you slam the throttle valves shut the mixture
goes rich for an instant until the mixture unit can catch up. During
that instant a slug of over-rich air/fuel goes through the motor and
some of it burns in the exhaust. Most noticeable when you are driving
down a hill and you lift your foot off the gas quickly. Exhaust leaks
can also make the noise worse by letting air into the exhaust to help
the burn and then letting the noise out.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757