[DML] Re: Dwell meter setting?? More than you might want to know... ? to

[DML] Re: Dwell meter setting?? More than you might want to know... ? too LONG?

Guys,

The  "dwell meter" was originally designed to measure the time, in  degrees
that the "points" of the ignition system stayed (dwelled) closed.   That is
dependant on how many cylinders the engine has.  If it was a 4  cylinder engine
the maximum dwell would be 360 degrees divided by 4 (cylinders)  which is 90
degrees, meaning that if the points were closed all the time (ie.  100 percent
of the time) they would be closed for 90 degrees for each  cylinder.  Thus for
a six cylinder car the maximum would be 360 divided by  6  = 60 degrees and
for an eight cylinder car it would be 360 divided by 8  = 45 degrees.  Thus the
dwell meter was used to measure and set the amount  of time, as a measure of
the rotational angle of the distributors 360  degree rotation, that the points
were close for each cylinder. Modern ignition  system don't use points any
more to "trigger" the ignition coil. (Factoid,  the spark of the old ignition
systems is generated when the points opened, not  closed, and this is when the
primary current stops flowing through the coil,  allowing the magnetic field to
collapse rapidly thus inducing the high voltage  in the secondary winding of
the ignition coil...)

Back then, the dwell meter displayed the amount of time the point were
closed versus the full cycle, be it 90, 60 or 45 degrees for a 4, 6, or 8  cylinder
engine.  The dwell meter was in essence measuring what is know as  the duty
cycle, which is the percentage of time current is flowing  during a cycle.  ie.
if on 6 cylinder engine the dwell is 30 degrees then  the duty cycle is 30
divided by 60 or 50%.  Back then they called it dwell  and measured it in
degrees.

Getting back to the future, or should I say the present, our CIS fuel
injection system relies on a signal from the Lambda ECU that tells the frequency
valve to repeatedly open and close, which controls the pressures in the fuel
distributor and in the end, the amount of fuel sprayed out of the fuel
injectors.  This is how it keeps a constant air fuel ratio over the varied  amount of
air being sucked into the engine at different loads and speeds.

The Lambda ECU is constantly sending a signal to the frequency valve, at 70
cycles per second, per page D:04:08 in the DeLorean Workshop Manual.  In
order to change the fuel pressures, the frequency valve depends on the duty  cycle
of this signal powering it, meaning during what percentage of the signal
cycle is current flowing to the frequency valve versus 100% of the signal  cycle.
 If the duty cycle were 100% then the valve would be open all the  time, if
the duty cycle was 50% then the valve would be open for 50% or half of  the
time in each of the 70 cycles ever second...

So theoretically we need to know the duty cycle in percent not the  dwell in
degrees, but since dwell meters are easy to come by and duty cycle  meters are
not, they were nice enough to convert duty cycle to dwell degrees for  us.
Note that the manual calls this duty cycle / dwell degrees a  pulse ratio, but
states it as degrees in the specifications.

So how does one convert from dwell to duty cycle?  Again it is the
percentage of the maximum dwell for a particular cylinder setting or scale on  the
meter.  For instance, the manual states (please rise and turn to  page D:04:15)
that in normal operation the "Pulse Ratio" should read 35 -  45 degrees.  Now
what setting and scale should be used for that since 45  degrees on an 8
cylinder setting would mean the valve is open 100 percent of the  time (45 / (360/8)
= 1) where as 45 degrees on the 4 cylinder setting would mean  the valve would
be open during only 50% of each cycle (45 / (360/4) = .5   THUS the setting
and scale you use is critical.

What we really want to measure is duty cycle.  The convenient way is  to use
a dwell meter set to the proper range.  The DMC Technical Manual  specifies
setting the dwell meter to the 4 cylinder scale (I have not seen this  important
piece of info in the workshop manual)  (...and of course you need  to read
from the 4 cylinder scale as well.) On many dwell meters there is no 4  cylinder
scale, therefore you need to set it to 8 cylinders and multiply your  reading
by two.  Now in reality you could use the 6 cylinder setting and  scale but
then the numbers in the manual would not be the correct ones to use,  so why
bother...

Remember you will be setting the "dwell" to a range as it will be pulsating
/ varying up and down a bit on a properly warmed up and operating engine.

Also very important is to recheck it after you reseal the access hole for
the 3mm allen as this is a vacuum leak that can change the settings.

Does any of this make sense?  Is anyone out there still awake??

BTW, Don't do what I did the first time, which was to connect one wire of  my
dwell meter to the "test point" and ground the other wire. (This is how
you'd measure dwell on a car with points and is wrong, wrong, wrong for  us.)  The
other wire actually connects to another terminal in the  diagnostic socket
which goes to plus 12 volts and not ground...

When in doubt, RTFM (Read The F...ing Manual)

Dave Delman
D² & 6530

Message: 15