[DML] A new trick for old dogs

WARNING: I have not tried this method and will not be responsible
for any damage to any vehicle, it's components, tools or personnel.

I plan on converting a gasoline powered vehicle to electric power in
the near future (NOT a DeLorean) and read a weblog of a fellow who
converted an old Ford Probe when I stumbled on this trick:

I recently recall a debate about methods to get the crank pulley nut
off of our engines. This fellow used an interesting procedure.
Essentially he removed a sparkplug, and positioned the piston about
halfway on the stroke. He then feeds a length of rope into the
cylinder, coiling it as best as he can as he feeds it. Then when
applying loosening pressure to the crank pulley nut, the piston
comes to a stop against the rope, essentially locking the engine,
supposedly without doing any damage.

I always advocate using the proper tool for the job (in this
instance, a pneumatic impact gun) but for those who insist on
struggling along without the correct tools or the necessary
finances, this might prevent injury or engine damage (such as
snapping flywheel teeth or lifting cylinder sleeves from their
seats). Then again, it may cause engine damage (damaged cylinder
head, broken piston connecting rod or crank).

I know some of you will scream that this is a bad idea, but you also
know full well that there are young, uninitiated, less financially
well off owners out there trying to resurrect old D's that you just
can't stop from buying and taking their cars apart so we may as well
minimize the damage by helping them out however we can.

Use this procedure only at your discretion.

Rich A.